Although every probate process is unique, there are some common steps, including:
- Locating an original copy of the decedent’s Last Will and Testament and obtaining certified copies of the decedent’s death certificate.
- Submitting the Will along with a petition to open probate with the appropriate court.
- Inventorying and valuing estate assets.
- Notifying creditors that probate is underway
- Evaluating claims submitted by creditors
- Paying valid claims
- Litigating any disputes
- Paying any state and/or federal taxes due
- Transferring the remaining assets to the intended beneficiaries and/or heirs of the estate.